One of my favorite ways to de-stress is by taking a long, hot bath with relaxing bath salts. And it’s so easy to make your own at home without any of the potential toxic ingredients that many companies put into their products.
The main ingredient I like to use in my bath salts is Epsom Salt.
Here is a great explanation of what Epsom Salt is from the website, SeaSalt.com: “Epsom salt, named for a bitter saline spring at Epsom in Surrey, England, is not actually salt but a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate.”
Magnesium is a crucial mineral for our body and is responsible for so many different bodily functions.
Check out some of the amazing benefits of using Epsom Salt in your bath:
- Helps decrease inflammation in the body
- Helps to reduce stress levels
- Helps balance blood sugar
- Helps eliminate toxins
- Helps with constipation
It’s odorless and dissolves quickly in hot water, making it the perfect addition to a relaxing bath.
Another ingredient I like to add to my DIY recipes is baking soda. Everyone has baking soda around the house, and it has so many amazing benefits! Adding it to your bath can help:
- Make your skin softer
- Help with skin irritations and rashes
- Soothe tired and achy muscles and joints
- Gently exfoliate skin
By mixing Epsom salt and baking soda, you have the perfect base for creating custom bath salts using different essential oils! I like to use a ratio of 4:1 – 4 parts Epsom salt to 1 part baking soda. Here is my basic recipes (simply multiply the amount to make more):
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
Once I have the basic recipe mixed together, I like to customize each jar using essential oils. Here are some of my favorite essential oils and blends to add to this base (Simply add specified number of drops to the basic recipe and stir well with metal spoon and store in glass jar or container):
- Relaxing Bath – 3 drops lavender, 3 drops ylang ylang, 3 drops clary sage
- Detox Bath – 3 drops Zendocrine blend, 3 drops Rosemary
- Stuffy Nose Relief Bath – 3 drops eucalyptus, 3 drops Breathe blend
- Sleep Tight Bath – 3 drops lavender, 3 drops cedarwood, 3 drops vetiver
The options are endless! This is such a luxurious way to relax and help your body recover from all the stresses of the day! It also makes a wonderful gift!
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 6 to 9 drops of your favorite essential oils
- Combine all ingredients in a glass jar or container and mix well with metal spoon. Pour entire contents into hot running water. Relax and enjoy!