When it comes to simple habits that can completely upgrade your health, this is always my #1 tip to clients.
Drinks your greens!
Incorporating a fresh green juice or smoothie each day is an easy and delicious way to get more veggies into your diet. They are loaded with essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and chlorophyll, all of which are so important for overall health.
Creating a delicious green smoothie couldn’t be easier!
Add Your Liquid
I always add liquid into my container first, because it makes it easier to blend the smoothie and keeps fruits and veggies from getting stuck in the blade. Great ideas for your liquid base are:
- Filtered Water
- Coconut Water
- Herbal or Green Tea
- Almond Milk (for creamier smoothie)
- Coconut Milk (for creamier smoothie)
Choose Your Greens
This is where it’s fun to experiment! Try greens you’ve never tried before. But don’t be intimidated either! You may just discover a new favorite vegetable! Here are some ideas:
- Swiss Chard
- Dandelion Greens
- Arugula (keep in mind this green is peppery!)
Place your greens on top of your liquid to ensure they get blended well.
Choose Your Fruit
The variety of fruit you can add to your smoothies is endless. This adds sweetness to your smoothie, as well as fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Bananas, Mangos, Avocados (makes your smoothie creamy!)
- Berries (Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries)
Add your fresh or frozen fruit on top of your greens. The weight of the fruit will help push all the ingredients down into the blade for a well-blended smoothie!
Add any Boosters
Boosters are additional ingredients that add more nutrients to your smoothie. They kick the nutritive value up a notch! Here are some great boosters:
- Flax, chia, or hemp seeds (great for omega 3 fats and plant-based protein)
- Spices (great for adding antioxidants! Cinnamon, Ginger and Turmeric are great spices to add)
- Herbs (great for cleansing and detoxing! I love adding a handful of cilantro or mint!)
Add your booster(s) before blending!
Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be whipping up your own delicious recipes! And the more you drink your greens, the more your body will crave healthy food. For more incredible smoothie recipes, this is one of my favorite smoothie books!
See below for one of my favorite, basic green smoothies!
- 1 cup filtered water or coconut water
- 1 handful organic spinach or kale
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen mango
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 1 T. chopped, fresh cilantro or mint (optional)
- 1 T. Hemp seeds (optional)
- Place ingredients in order listed.
- Blend on high until all ingredients are well blended!