Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favorite indulgences. That was one of the things I missed most when I went gluten-free several years ago. Since then I have tried a number of different gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipes. Inspired by the various recipes I tried, I came up with this variation. These cookies are nutritious because of their healthy fat and protein. I swapped regular sugar for coconut palm sugar, which is high in nutrients and low on the glycemic index. They are super fast to throw together, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand. And they are delicious! My boys love these cookies, and guests are always wowed that they have no flour or refined sugar. I’ll even occasionally eat these for breakfast with organic coffee because of the healthy fat and good dose of protein.
You can use 1 cup of any nut butter, but my favorite combination is 1/2 cup of Sunbutter mixed with 1/2 cup of almond butter.
- ½ c. Sunbutter*
- ½ c. Almond butter
- ¾ c. Coconut palm sugar
- 1 Egg
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ t. Baking powder
- ½ c. Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix everything but the chocolate chips in a bowl until smooth. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Drop rounded spoonfuls onto pan lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with fingers.
- Bake for 9 - 10 minutes, or until lightly browned, being careful not to cook longer as these can burn easily. They will continue to cook as they cool in pan.
- Cool for 5 minutes on pan, then place in airtight container.