*This post contains affiliate links
Fall is such a beautiful time of year with the changing colors, sweater weather, and another school year underway. It’s also a time for viruses and germs to make their rounds and create sick days for many of us.
There are plenty of things we can do to support our bodies against seasonal threats and help us either prevent sickness or enable our bodies to recover faster.
I’ve divided them into 3 categories:
When it comes to strengthening our immune systems, nutrition should be the first thing we consider. If we’re eating processed foods, toxic fats, and lots of sugar, we can’t expect our immune systems to function at their best. In fact, we’ll be making it MUCH harder for our immune systems to combat seasonal threats, because it will be busy trying to process the toxins we’re ingesting!
So, let’s make things easier for ourselves by limiting the junk and focusing on fresh, whole foods like:
- Lots of fresh vegetables and fruits – eat the rainbow! The more colorful, the more vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients it contains, all of which are essential for a healthy immune system.
- Veggie Soups – Soups loaded with veggies and herbs are one of the best things you can eat when you’re under the weather (or to protect yourself from becoming so). There are numerous recipes for healthy soups – Try this one or this one!
- Garlic – Raw garlic is a potent anti-viral and anti-bacterial, making it a fantastic food to add to salad dressings, marinades, on top of veggies and in soups and stews.
- Raw Honey – this natural sweetener is also anti-bacterial and anti-viral! Great to add to your herbal teas👇🏻
- Herbal Teas – Teas loaded with herbs and spices are fantastic for sipping on all year long, but particularly during cold and flu season. I like this one and this one.
- Ginger Turmeric Shots – These pack a serious anti-inflammatory punch! Great to take whenever you start to feel run down or under the weather. Try this recipe!
- Fresh Juices & Smoothies – an easy and delicious way to incorporate more fruits, veggies, and greens into your diet, as well as boost the nutrients you consume on a daily basis. Try this one!
Second to nutrition, it’s helpful to have a natural medicine cabinet full of plant based medicines on hand so you are prepared for whatever is going around! These are supplements we use and love and that help to support a strong immune system:
- Vitamin C – This essential antioxidant supports the cellular immune response, making it a top choice to keep on hand. Look for whole food supplements like this one or this one.
- Vitamin D – This essential vitamin helps fight off bacteria and viruses in addition to a myriad of other health benefits (hello, strong bones and healthy hormones!). I like this food-based one!
- OnGuard – This powerful combination of essential oils includes Black Pepper, Oregano, and Melissa, and research shows this blend helps support a healthy immune system.
- Oregano – Known as nature’s antibiotic, oregano is a potent herb that fights all kinds of seasonal threats. I like this brand.
- Wellness Formula – This potent blend of 30 vitamins, minerals, and herbs has been around for years and won multiple awards for its efficacy. This is a fantastic blend to have on hand!
- Elderberry – The berries and flowers of this plant have been used for centuries to support a healthy immune system. They are packed with antioxidants and vitamins and can also help reduce inflammation. Studies suggest elderberry is effective against respiratory illnesses and shows antiviral effects. I love these elderberry gummies!
- Oscillococcinum – This homeopathic formula has been around for years and is a fabulous remedy against flu-like symptoms for the whole family! Make sure to take at the first sign of illness to experience the greatest benefit.
- Colloidal silver – This has been around for centuries and used as a tonic to protect the immune system against all types of threat. This brand is superior to the rest!
- Propolis spray – Honey is a super food, and the propolis derived from raw honey is no exception! This spray offers fabulous anti-viral protection all season long! This is an awesome brand!
In addition to our food and supplements, our habits play a key role in how we handle seasonal threats. If you seem to catch every little thing going around, it’s time to take a look at your habits.
- Wash hands – Seems simple enough, but this is one of the best (and often times neglected) thing you can do to protect yourself against germs, viruses and bacteria. I make it a habit to wash my hands first thing when I get home from being out and about. For on the go, I like to use a nontoxic antibacterial spray that I keep in my purse.
- Nasal Spray – Just like washing hands, washing the nasal cavity is great way to protect against any harmful substances you may have breathed in during the day.
- Get plenty of sleep – You can’t burn the candle on both ends and hope to stay healthy. Our bodies need rest. Sleep is when your body repairs itself and detoxifies. If you’re not giving your body the sleep it needs, you can’t expect it to protect you from whatever is going around. So make sure to get plenty of high quality sleep.
- Take detox baths – I love a bath with 1 cup Epsom Salts, 1 cup baking soda, and 3-4 drops essential oils like lavender to help detox and relax all at the same time.
- Exercise – Make sure you are getting plenty of movement throughout the week. We are not meant to be sedentary. Exercise helps improve everything from digestion to immune system function. So get moving, even if it’s outside for a daily walk (one of my favorites)!
- De-Stress – Stress can seriously impede our immune system function and make us more susceptible to sickness. Look for ways to calm your body and mind on a daily basis. Do it for your health!
Focusing on these 3 categories will go a long way in protecting you and your family from whatever the “sickness du jour” happens to be!