As we age, keeping our hormones healthy and happy can be quite a balancing act! That’s why it’s helpful to have delicious recipes you can turn to that help keep your hormones happy, healthy, and balanced. This smoothie is one of those recipes!
There are 3 main ingredients you want to include in any recipe to keep your hormones humming – healthy fat, fiber, and protein.
Healthy fats are essential for hormone production in the body. They also boost metabolism and help fight inflammation. Look to include more of these healthy fats in your diet:
- Coconut Oil
- Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- Organic Butter
- Olive Oil
- Wild Caught Salmon
Healthy fats also help curb your cravings and keep you feeling satisfied longer.
Fiber is important for clearing out the colon and keeping a healthy gut. Constipation can wreak havoc on your hormones and overall health. So, it’s important to make sure and eat plenty of fiber to keep things moving. Good sources of fiber include:
- Nuts and Seeds
- Beans and Lentils
Fiber also helps to make you feel fuller which aids in weight management.
Protein is essential for a number of jobs in your body including building and repairing muscle tissue, making hormones, and creating healthy skin, hair and nails. It aids in keeping your metabolism humming and blood sugar levels stable. Good sources of protein include:
- Organic meats
- Organic Dairy
- Whey, Collagen, or Plant Based Protein Powders
I love this delicious and creamy, hormone-balancing smoothie because its contains all 3! It’s perfect as a meal replacement because of all the healthy fats, protein, and fiber. I also love how it’s not very sweet yet it’s still very tasty (perfect if you are looking to cut back on sugar!). So, what makes this smoothie so great for hormones?
Check out how each of the ingredients help to provide your body with essential nutrients that contribute to happy hormones.
- Avocados – full of healthy fats and loaded with fiber
- Flax seeds – great for balancing estrogen levels and full of fiber and omega 3 fats
- Pumpkin seeds – rich in omega 3s and 6s, antioxidants, and fiber
- Almond Butter – rich in magnesium, vitamin E, healthy fat, and protein
- Whey or Collagen Protein Powder – great source of protein, good for the liver and gut (which helps to balance hormones). In this smoothie, I used dōTERRA’s TrimShake which contains whey protein as well as ashwagandha, which is an adaptogenic herb that helps to stabilize cortisol levels (great for the thyroid and adrenals!)
This rich and creamy smoothie will keep you satisfied for hours and will keep your hormones happy and humming!
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ Tablespoon ground pumpkin seeds*
- ½ Tablespoon ground flax seeds*
- ½ avocado
- 2 Tablespoons almond butter
- 2 scoops Chocolate TrimShake or Collagen Protein Powder**
- ½ cup crushed ice
- Blend on high until well combined and creamy!
**doTERRA's TrimShake contains whey protein (great for the liver) and Ashwagandha (which is an adaptogenic herb that is great for the thyroid and adrenals). This is my favorite protein powder for happy hormones. You can also use a Collagen Protein powder as collagen is great for gut health, which directly impacts our hormones.