I didn’t wake up one morning and think, “I want to join an MLM company!” I knew I wanted to use essential oils, and I knew that doTERRA had the highest quality oils on the market. So after joining doTERRA and learning more about the company, I understood why they chose to make it an MLM company.
Some product brands choose to use their marketing budgets conventionally, paying for advertising and trying to get their products in big stores. Others pay individuals to educate others and spread the word about the product, giving them a commission of sales.
I’m not a pushy network marketer and I ask my team members not to be, either. My motto is: Use the product. Learn more about it. Share when it’s appropriate.
I like network marketing because:
- Earning ability. I get to choose how well I do. If I don’t make a lot of money, it’s all me. If I do, well, that’s me, too.
- Quality. We receive our doTerra oils shipped directly to our door. They don’t sit around in a warehouse, in a truck, on a shelf for months and months. This is very important since oils need to be handled carefully, sealed properly and protected from exposure so they remain potent. Sitting in a retail store does not allow that.
- Product Support. When you buy something from a store, you end up going home and doing lots of research and experimentation to figure out how to fit the product into your lifestyle and get good results. When you buy from a doTerra Wellness Advocate (me!) you get an awesome, knowledgeable helpful friend who helps you shop for things that will suit you best, and then shows you how to get them working for you quickly. You get to join a group that has lots of experience and wants to help you improve the health of you and your family, and has lots of tips and trouble-shooting to offer you. It’s an amazing experience way beyond shopping, buying and using products in isolation. I can go on our FB group and say “have any of you tried X oil for Y problem?” and I’ll get plenty of responses from helpful people saying “Yes, it was amazing!” or “No, but try this one. I love it!” or “Make sure you do it this way”, etc..
- Discounts. I’ve joined a couple of network marketing companies in my day, mainly because it means I get a product I really like at wholesale prices. Oh, and I get paid when I share it with others. I wish that was the case with other products I use on a regular basis.
- Network. I like the network aspect because I like people. I like teaching and helping other people be successful. Really, this is just a great opportunity for me to surround myself with awesome people. 🙂
- Business Coaching. I think that this is the best way to get support with building a business, without paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for help from a business coach. Even if you paid someone, they would never be as vested in your success as a DoTerra Sponsor. Eventually the course or sessions you paid them for would end, and that would be it. But your Sponsor is in the grind with you, because if you don’t win, they don’t win. For better or for worse we are selfish creatures, and if we have some skin in the game, we will put in that extra effort and determination to succeed. I don’t feel bad asking my Sponsor for help, even several times a day, because I know she is vested in my success. And I know she will motivate me and push me even if I’m having an off day, because she wants all of us on our team to succeed.
- The future of business. Network marketing is growing at a rapid pace because people like the personal experience and sharing aspect. It’s a lot more about helping people and not cold and impersonal, like the big box stores we all shop at (no thanks!). It’s a sustainable model of sharing awesome products all over the world and connecting with like-minded people. It’s also a lucrative business model that is very genuine (as natural as recommending awesome stuff to friends!) if you choose to work with a company that is aligned with your values.
Can’t you buy doTerra oils from Amazon?
You can, but they are at full retail price. There are also a few other reasons why I didn’t do this:
- You don’t get the “quality” aspect from the paragraph above. When you buy off Amazon we don’t know exactly who has been handling the products and for how long, if they’ve been sitting in a warehouse at the wrong temperature, etc.
- There are often issues with unsealed bottles or even non-authentic products sold on Amazon. Once they are out of doTerra’s hands they are no longer controlled so there is no guarantee you are buying a genuine high-quality oil. If you’re going to invest in oils I think it’s best to buy direct from doTerra rather than a dealer through Amazon.
- You don’t get help from a friendly group of people experienced with oils (as mentioned above)!
Hopefully this helps to alleviate any fears you have about joining an MLM company and actually excites you to get started with doTERRA!