I love my slow cooker. It’s so nice to throw all my ingredients into a large pot in the morning and have a delicious meal ready by dinner time. They are so convenient for those days where you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
This slow cooker Mexican chicken is super simple and will create flavorful, shredded chicken that can be used in a variety of dishes. Here are some delicious ways to use this chicken:
- Put it on tacos or fajitas
- Top organic, corn tortillas for yummy nachos
- Throw into an omelet and top with salsa and avocado for a Mexican flair
- Put it in soups and stews
The possibilities are endless. I used a mixture of organic boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins and organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs. With organic chicken, you don’t have to worry about added hormones, antibiotics or pesticides.
I think the mixture helps create different textures and flavors with the meat, but you can certainly just use one or the other. Chicken thighs are much cheaper than tenderloins and add delicious flavor, whereas the tenderloins make for very tender meat that shreds easily when slow cooked. I just salt and pepper the chicken.
I then mix the taco seasoning with 1/2 cup of water. To that I add 1/2 jar of my favorite salsa. I pour this mixture over the chicken and spread evenly to cover the chicken.
Cover and cook on low for about 7 – 8 hours. When finished cooking, take two forks and shred chicken.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- ½ cup water
- ½ to 1 jar favorite salsa
- 1 tsp. each, salt and pepper
- Place chicken in a greased 8 qt. slow cooker. Salt and pepper chicken.
- Mix taco seasoning packet with ½ cup water. Add salsa to the mixture and pour over chicken.
- Spread evenly to make sure all the chicken is covered.
- Cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.
- Shred with two forks.
- Enjoy in your favorite dishes!