I’ve been having a lot of fun lately experimenting with protein powders in different recipes. Protein is an essential macronutrient for our bodies to function at their best, so I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more of it into my diet.
My latest concoction reminds me of one of my favorite indulgences – Breyer’s Mint Chocolate Chip ice-cream. Only mine is sugar-free and loaded with waist-slimming protein!
While the consistency is certainly different than ice-cream, it’s smooth texture and creamy vanilla and mint flavor fit the bill. It definitely satisfied my cravings!
This would make a great pre- or post- workout snack or a guilt-free dessert.
I used whey protein in this recipe, because it is a nutritional powerhouse. Check out all the benefits of whey protein:
- It helps build long, lean muscles.
- It helps to repair muscles after strenuous workouts.
- It contains all the essential amino acids (which are the building blocks of our cells).
- It reduces cravings and stabilizes blood sugar.
- Studies have shown that it actually works to decrease body fat.
- It increases the production of glutathione, which is an antioxidant that helps to strengthen and cleanse the liver.
- It contains a number of antioxidants, like Coenzyme Q10, which helps to strengthen the immune system and deliver energy to the cells.
So, have I talked you into trying this recipe yet? 😉
Look for whey protein powders that are from grass-fed cows that have not been treated with synthetic hormones or antibiotics. Two of my favorite brands are:
Jay Robb – It comes in several delicious flavors.
Tera’s Whey – The Bourbon Vanilla flavor is my favorite.
You can order through one of my favorite on-line health and wellness retailers, Vitacost, and get a discount off your first order!
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt *
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder*
- ¼ t. peppermint extract, preferably organic
- 2 T. mini chocolate chips*
- Put Greek yogurt into bowl and pour vanilla protein powder over top. Mix until protein powder dissolves and it appears smooth and creamy. Add peppermint extract and stir well. Add mini chocolate chips and gentle stir to incorporate. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
*I used Jay Robb Vanilla Whey protein powder.
*I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips.