We, as a family, are big history buffs! I actually majored in history in college and my husband, Mantle, minored in it. So, needless to say, we’ve passed that love on to our boys.
As lovers of history (particularly Colonial American history), one of our favorite holidays to celebrate is Independence Day. It’s a wonderful time to reflect on the incredible ways God has blessed this nation and the freedoms we enjoy today because of the sacrifice of so many.
We enjoyed our neighborhood’s yearly Independence Day parade (usually the Saturday before July 4th) – it’s always fun to see bikes, wagons, scooters, and golf carts decked out in patriotic pride!
I also always get a hankering to create some type of American Flag dessert for the 4th each year, and this year, I was craving something “cheese-cakey” (that’s a word, right?!). I also wanted to make it healthy, but it had to taste good. I think I accomplished both goals!
Here’s how to make this easy and super delicious American Flag Cheesecake!
Step 1: The Crust
For the crust, I wanted to keep things traditional with a graham cracker crust. Kinnikinnick offers lots of yummy gluten free products, and these graham cracker crumbs are no exception. I just combined about 3/4 cup with about 2 T. salted butter, stirred well, and then pressed onto the bottom of a small glass dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Step 2: The Filling
I thought it would be fun to add a bit of lemon flavor to the filling. So, for the filling, I combined cream cheese, whipping cream (not pictured, because it would have spilled everywhere 😳), maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon essential oil into a bowl and mixed until fluffy using a hand mixer. One of the things I love about this recipe is that the cream cheese filling does not need to be baked. Simply pour it onto cooled crust and assemble blueberries and strawberries to resemble the American Flag.
Chill in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Recipe can easily be doubled for a 9×13 inch dish. It’s delish!
What are your family’s favorite recipes to have on July 4th?
- 2 T. salted butter, melted
- ¾ c. Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Cheesecake Filling:
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened (preferably organic)
- ¼ c. heavy whipping cream (preferably organic)
- ¼ c. maple syrup
- juice of half a lemon
- 5 drops lemon essential oil (I use doTERRA which is safe for internal use. This is optional but adds great lemon flavor!)
- ¾ c. each strawberries and blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs. Place in the bottom of a small, rectangular glass dish. Press down with fingers to flatten on the bottom of the dish and bake for about 10 minutes or just slightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- For filling, combine cream cheese, vanilla extract, liquid stevia, lemon essential oil, and maple syrup with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of cooled crust and spread evenly. Arrange blueberries and sliced strawberries to resemble the American Flag.
- *Recipe can easily be doubled to make a 9x13in dish flag.